Financial Management


The functions of the NBA are outlined in the National Blood Authority Act 2003 and the National Blood Agreement. As a material statutory agency, the NBA has a range of corporate and compliance responsibilities under the National Blood Authority Act 2003, the Financial Management and Accountability Act 1997, and the Australian Public Service Act 1999, along with a responsibility to meet ministerial, parliamentary and financial reporting requirements.

Under the National Blood Agreement between the Australian Government and the states and territories, 63 per cent of NBA funding is provided by the Australian Government and the remaining 37 per cent is provided by the state and territory governments. The funding covers both the national blood supply and the operations of the NBA.

Special accounts

The NBA operates through two special accounts, the National Blood Account and the National Managed Fund (NMF) (Blood and Blood Products) Special Account.

Special accounts are held in the Consolidated Revenue Fund and are used for setting aside and recording amounts to be used for specified purposes. Funding received from the Australian Government and the states and territories is held within the special accounts and expended as required.

Funding for the supply of blood and blood products and the operation of the NBA is included in the National Blood Account, established under section 40 of the National Blood Authority Act 2003.

The NMF (Blood and Blood Products) Special Account was established under section 20 of the Financial Management and Accountability Act 1997 to accumulate funds required to meet potential product liability claims against the Blood Service. Contributions to the account are made by all governments and the Blood Service. In addition, interest is received on special account balances.

For budgeting and accounting purposes, the NBA’s financial transactions are classified as either departmental or administered revenues or expenses:

  • assets, liabilities, revenues and expenses controlled by the NBA for its operations are classified as departmental revenues and expenses
  • activities and expenses controlled or incurred by the NBA on behalf of governments, mainly for the procurement of the requested products and services, are classified as administered revenues and expenses.

Transactions in the National Blood Account are separated into departmental and administered components. All balances in the NMF (Blood and Blood Products) Special Account are administered funds.

The NBA’s agency resource statement and total resources for outcome tables are given in Appendix 4. Table 4.1 summarises the NBA’s revenue and expenditure for 2013–14.

TABLE 4.1 Overall funding and expenditure for the NBA in 2013–14: a summary

Funding Incl. Appropriations ($M) Expenditure ($M)
Departmental - NBA Operations 10.203 10.438
Administered - national blood and blood product supply 1,101.410 1,044.914